Stirling engine forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre-production basic questions for electricity/energy generation

Go down

Pre-production basic questions for electricity/energy generation Empty Pre-production basic questions for electricity/energy generation

Post  NanoByte Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Well, it's nice to find a new forum out there where I can hope my voice won't get lost in the crowd.   Very Happy

I've long been intrigued by the potential of Stirling engines and have some cheap project toys here at home. I'm a handy guy but I don't have a machine shop.

Here's my quick question for today:
Over the past year I needed to replace my NG fired furnace and that room it's in gets way hot. Although a fan isn't required for the BTU output I've got I may need to install

one at some point just to cool the room off. Anyhow, this got me thinking...

Is there any way I could either (a) attach a Stirling generator to capture some of that heat off the boiler or flue or could I (b) place some sort of Stirling generator on top of my metal chimney cap (or replace it all-together) with some sort of Stirling engine that could capture the heat and convert to electricity?

The chimney could be optimal b/c the furnace will run often in the winter and the outside ambient temperature is cold out.  32deg F or below to a flue temp of 100deg F + would be a pretty good difference to work with.

Thoughts anyone???

NanoByte

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum